Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Another day, another beach!

So where were we? Oh yes, we'd just gone snorkeling, been attacked by a school of red pirrahna, and managed to forget our guilt about not taking the bad dog to the beach with us. So on with the story... We found our way across a beautiful bridge to a little place called Sesoko Island. The best beach there was near a beautiful golf course and had parking for $10. Being the budget travelers, now that I'm not pulling in a paycheck (and yes, I'm living the life of leisure - but it's leisure on a budget), we decided to do like the locals and park for free on the side of the small road. Besides, there were only 2 suckers (uh, I mean tourists) that parked in the pay lot. We made an excellent choice since we only had to walk 2 block back to the beach. When we got there the sea was the most stunning blue imaginable - almost like the ocean had swallowed the morning sky. A commercial was being made on the beach (the second commercial we've seen being filmed here on Okinawa in a week)while we were there. I know it was an ad because the models kept drinking from the same bottle of water over and over again with lots of flair. It was only a small film crew and we had the rest of the beach almost to ourselves. After cooling off in the ocean for a bit we decided to head out again. There was more of the island to discover and we were afraid that it would start raining before we finished checking out all the good beaches. We went back across the bridge, up the road and to Grandmother's house (oh wait, different story). We found cruised around and found Emerald Beach, yep another great beach (this time with lots of free parking lots). It had clean white picnic tables and shaded areas, a netted off swimming area to keep out the jellyfish and other critters that sting and bite (things that are a lot more real than the red pirrahnas I keep fibbing about)and even plastic floats that you could swim out to and hang out on. There were bathrooms and showers, a gift shop (in case you had a wardrobe malfunction with your bathing suit) and even a snack bar that served Orion beer. The best part (besides the beer - because c'mon everyone knows beer is always the best part)is that once again it was not crowded at all! The only negative is that there is no snorkeling allowed there. Hey, that's better than no beer allowed! Hmmm... I seem to be stuck on that subject - but it's only because I'm not drinking until the 4th of July since my lose 10 pounds campaign wasn't going so well when I was hitting the sauce on a regular basis... When I try to deprive myself of anything I find myself obsessing about whatever the forbidden fruit of the week is (and this week it just happens to be fermented fruit). Did I mention I'll be getting my Master's degree in Psychology? I think I'll be great at helping maladjusted people because as they say "it takes one to know one!" Anyway, on the way back to the car I was assaulted by a couple of misquitoes (and when I say assaulted I mean brutalized - it looked like they took a lead pipe to me... but I'm a sensitive girl so on a normal human being the two bites might've looked normal). Then once again, but this time a little itchier than before, we were off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of beaches!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home